Pages

Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving???

So it's over and done...first time we have celebrated with Dan's family. The last four years we have had Thanksgiving as a family and I then go to my parents house with the kids and we have pie! YUMMY!! So this year since Sharon, the girls and us have all become 1 big happy(sarcasm is dripping right now) we decided that we would have dinner at the house with Manuel and Laverne. My parents thought they would go to my sister's since she is always complaining about not getting any visitors and always having to drive!

Well, I did ALL the cooking with the exception of the sweet potatoes and an apple pie. Check that, Sharon did peel 2 potatoes! So I am rushing around in the kitchen as Dan opens up olives, and relishes and crackers and cheese at the table--which I hadn't yet set! So they are all having a nice time at the table the three girls-Amber, Janea, Morgan,- Sharon, Laverne-Manuel decided he wasn't coming! I'm starting to feel frustrated at the amount of work that I am doing...Janea sets the table and then Dan started rushing me. He carves the turkey and Morgan and Sharon start eating turkey before the rest of the food is on the table and I haven't even sat down! I was a little taken aback at how rude that is.! So we finally get all the food cooked and begin eating....no talk about what we are thankful for, no thanking of God for stuff...we wouldn't have even said a blessing for the food if I hadn't reminded Dan!

Then I am resting after having cleaned up about half the kitchen...I was waiting for one cycle on the dishwasher to finish and Dan come hollering...Erin I need some help...the sink is leaking in the basement! Turns out the pipe fittings under the kitchen sink totally need to be replaced! SO Dan tries to go out last night and find the right parts but of course all the hardware stores are closed! So today's project---fix kitchen sink better than the temporary fix from last night!

I wanted to bake cookies today...but with no sink that really isn't completely doable! Oh well! So I hope that you all had a most blessed Thanksgiving and were able to focus on the blessings of God! I spent about an hour with God last night and refocused my heart around the blessings he provides rather than just the fiasco of a Thanksgiving yesterday!

1 comment:

E and K said...

Yikes! Sounds like you have a totally validated point, starting eating before the rest of the food is on the table and before you sit down!? You should enact a new rule or tradition, whoever cooks the dinner doesn't clean up afterwards!!!

Even though they may not have verbalized it though, I'm sure everyone was appreciative of the hard work and good food you made. I'm a very blunt person, so sometimes I remind Eric how thankful he is! (Didn't I do a great job cooking? Aren't I the best wife ever for making you cookies? Etc...!)

Sorry it was so stressful for you though.