Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

The aftermath of the flood

5 feet and 9 inches of water were in our basement. My baby had to swim out of her own bedroom through a swimming pool of water! I am still in shock that she is here...God truly protected her that night! He allowed her to wake up, to realize that she needed to get out and calmness in her panic to make it out of the basement by floating on a suitcase and a box and dog paddling her way to the stairs.

It's now day 6...6 long days!

Wednesday and Thursday Dan and I were on our own for cleaning. Our church had offered help if we wanted it but we weren't at the point of desperation yet. So we worked together and got a lot down but only a fraction of what needed to be done.

Friday: A woman from our church called and told me that she had 3 kids at home with nothing to do and would we like them to come and help us out...boy did I want them too! So they came for a few hours that afternoon and we got all of Janea's room emptied and mopped and most of Ambers room done! It was such a blessing to have extra hands!

Saturday: I go downstairs to start the process and to help out the plumber who was reinstalling our water heater! Another praise: Didn't need a new one, the old one works and we have hot water! It also cost less than $150.00! So around noon I get a call from a friend and he says that he and his wife would like to come and help! Then I called a deacon in my church and he also wanted to help and he rallied a cleaning crew. So from like 1:30-8:30 we had help in getting all the remaining stuff from the house onto the yard, we got all the laundry prewashed, we got the floors inside all mopped and pressure washed, we got the garage door up and cleaned out and found out that our riding mower is probably salvageable! It was an amazing blessing to have friends come and help us finish the inside of the house! The deacons also have allowed us to borrow the heavy duty fans from the church to help everything dry out! They even were able to move my flooded vehicle out of the way!

Sunday: Church breakfast, people asking how things are and everything I even got to cut in line! During our Missions Moment one of the deacons from the church got up and told the church about our predicament and how he had come to help and encourage us but that we had been an encouragement to him! Our church has been so supportive through all of this! I am so thankful for the encouragement that has been shown to us, the love that they give us and just the fellowship of the believers!

Monday: Today I am feeling depressed over the amount of stuff that was lost! I lost so many books and things that really just make me sick at heart, I know it's not important or anything but it still makes my heart hurt! I have pictures but I haven't downloaded them yet! I'll post some soon!

1 comment:

E and K said...

So so sorry to hear about all this! Our house flooded once when we lived in IA, people forget that a flood in your basement doesn't mean lots of water, but muddy water that dirties everything! So glad to hear that your church family is sharing your burden. Thank God for the way He designed His church!