Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Loving Even when its Exhausting

Nothing is more exhausting to a mom then a sick kid.

Kids don't get sick at convenient times, at least mine don't.

My kids usually get sick in the middle of the night, or during a week when Dan and I can't switch off who stays home, so I am home with them, jeopardizing my good standing at work.  Or they get sick when they have a huge competition or something fun at school.

The toddler is sick...fever, congestion, coughing, crankiness.

He has spiked a fever in the middle of the night the last two nights, waking me up and then having trouble going back to sleep.

I feel bad for him, and at the same time, I'm exhausted!  I'm up with him, snuggling, giving Tylenol or ibuprofen, getting a drink, helping him fall back asleep.  Then just when I am sleeping again, the alarm goes off and I have to start the day, getting the big kids and Dan off to work, determining if I am going to work, checking temperatures.

Yesterday, he woke up fever free so I thought it might have been a fluke of a fever so we went to school, only to go home an hour early because he had a fever.  It didn't go down to normal even with Tylenol yesterday so I called in last night knowing it was probably going to be another long night.

It was, Jayden fell asleep okay but woke up 3 and a 1/2 hours later with a very high temperature.  He needed drinks, more medicine, and just wasn't able to fall back asleep for around 2 hours.

I could have been angry...and I will be honest I was frustrated.  However, he can't help being sick, he can't meet his own needs, he is too little.  I just have to love and be loving even though it  isn't what I want to do.  I have to put myself aside and give love.  I have to love even when my son may not be the most lovable or friendly, when he is cranky and hurting.

I think this is kind of how God is with us.  We often are needy and demanding, frustrating and challenging, but He never turns us away.  He is that loving Father that meets our needs and helps us through our challenges and loves us no matter what.

I'm thankful for that truth.

Praying my little man feels better soon!  Also looking forward to naptime and getting a little bit of extra rest myself!

No comments: