Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Heat of the Moment


Yesterday was a difficult day but not a bad day. We had challenges at school due to staffing issues and we had our typical kid issues that come with school being done in less than 8 days but it wasn't anything we couldn't overcome.

Afterschool I had made plans to go with one of my co-workers to the Scholastic Wearhouse Clearance Sale at the Book Fair Warehouse! I look forward to this and when they have one I try to go since I can get books for up to 50% off! It really means alot to me especially now since I lost about 95% of my children's books in the flood last summer. I had been collecting for over 14 years and it was heartwrenching to lose them..the dollar value was huge! That said, one of my other co-workers and good buddy found out and decided to come too since she had never been there either!

So I am on my way to the sale when Dan calls, and basically he demanded that I come home. The kids were giving him stress and he wanted back up basically. Well I am on a major highway and unable to get off...but I do talk to the kids on the phone and tell him that once I get there I will turn around and go home! After we got to the sale and as I am explaining that I may need to leave for home...Dan calls again, he's calmed down, the kids have calmed down and he tells me to go ahead and look around since an extra 20 minutes won't really make that big a difference. I was excited and relieved.

I got a few books I have really been wanting and replaced a few of my teaching books that were destroyed. I also have started to rebuild my collection of children's books! Dan realized that in the Heat of the Moment he panicked and got stressed out by the kids, which is understandable, but he also realized how important this was to me and that he needed to meet my needs and let me get what I needed to get.

I am thankful for the ability to step back, take a deep breath and make a wise choice! I am thankful for my husband who realized how much this meant to me and that I needed to do this. I am also really thankful for the opportunity to get a good deal and have the resources to make my teaching even better!

No comments: