Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

What A Week

I think this was one of the longest working weeks I have ever had. Not because of the hours but because of the DRAMA!

I took a vacation the last week of June first week of July and while I was gone one of the teachers quit. She just walked out...saying mean things and causing trouble. Well this was on Wednesday...I did kinda know what was going on because one of my good friends was my co-teacher and she and I exchanged texts and she called to let me know what was going on. Well, Sunday I get a call from the preschool director informing me that the employee that quit called the State of Kansas liscensing agency and that there would be a good chance that they would come to check out the allegations. Plus we were going to be short staffed for the coming week and that things may be challenging. I let her know that I could work 8 hour days due to the fact that I missed 3 days of work the previous week and would need a few more hours to compensate for my missing time(I normally work 6).

I made sure that I was early for work on Monday and my boss tells me that there would be some staff changes this week...in other words they have to let a few people go due to ongoing issues in one wing of the building. This had nothing to do with my wing, my wing is fine...just a head's up because there may be problems...well the employees who were let go went off...screaming and yelling and causing trouble...I had my class in our indoor playground so I wasn't directly involved but it was chaotic...made for a very long day.

Tuesday and Wednesday were okay at work but my son went nuts...see my Super Crab posts...and I was just worn out...plus I worked overtime at least one day since we were so short staffed because on top of all the problems with liscensing(who still hadn't stopped by) another employees sons were sick and she called in one day to take them to the doctor causing us to be even further shortstaffed.

Thursday was a day where we were trying to make sure that Friday was covered so our Program director could take a well deserved long weekend and another gal could have her scheduled time off...we were able to make it all work but things are still crazy and there is a feeling of stress in the air from the constant amount of upheaval...and the kids are sensing things are crazier than normal and trying to take advantage. On a plus note for me personally, I did sign my contract for the upcoming school year and I am very pleased with the nice increase in my salary and being officially a "teacher" as opposed to an "assistant"(though I really was a teacher)

Yesterday was long...our cook has been having car trouble and was 3 hours late for work so we were shuffling kids so someone could take over the kitchen to make sure that little bellies were filled! I had a volunteer helper who is so sweet but doesn't know what is going on with routines and normalcy and it rained...so we were stuck inside. So we were constantly checking to make sure that we were in ratios and following all guidelines for the best of our abilities. Makes for a long day...I was so ready to go home at the end of the day!

As I was leaving my mom called to let me know that their church is having VBS kickoff tonight and did I want the kids to go...yes please! So the kiddos will be gone for a while tonight and I get a night off...hooray! So if I have been tired and cranky this week that's why...I am thankful that all staff should be there next week and we may get back to some semblance of normal!

No comments: