Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Valentine Progression

I have had mixed feelings about Valentines Day over the last 3 decades( yes I am old).

In my first 10 years, Valentines Day was all about fun. I loved exchanging Valentines in school, I love the parties, the treats and everything. It was great! Lots of fun!

In my second 10 years I began to resent Valentines day. I hated that everyone thought that if you didn't have a boyfriend or a significant other on Valentines day that you were basically a "loser". More often then not I was single on Valentines Day and I went into hate mode. If there had been conversation hearts with mean things instead of happy ones I definitely would buy them and my friends and I often exchanged sarcastic cards full of making one feel worse about our singleness. My parents and grandparents made sure to send lots of love to me on the holidays and that certainly was much appreciated but not the same thing as having a "date" on Valentines Day.

Now in my most recent 10 years (plus a couple) Valentines day has taken on a new meaning. Dan and I wish each other a Happy Valentines day and celebrate sometimes but it really doesn't matter. Valentines Day is just that a day. I don't need a day to tell my husband that I love and appreciate him. Little things I do for him during the week mean more to him than a gift in the middle of February. We show love to the kids but this year instead of candy and stuffed animals, they will be getting gifts that they can use for the longer term and get quality time from their parents. Being a happy and content family is the greatest gift that we can give to each other.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the parties again. I like helping my kids with their Valentines exchanges and in my opinion there is no greater Valentine card than the ones with FUN DIP! I have eaten my weight in conversation hearts through the years! I enjoy the parties at school and seeing the excitement for Valentines Day on the faces of the students in my class. I can truthfully say that I have come full circle. Valentines Day is a silly holiday that make you think of love and that's okay by me! So to anyone reading this...HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

No comments: