Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Spirit

I've been feeling a little Grinchy this Christmas.

I work with kids who get everything they want. Their parents spend more on childcare in a month than we spend on our mortgage payment. They have no concept of not having their basic needs met...and it's left me not feeling the most cheerful.

We celebrated the HOLIDAYs at school...couldn't leave any holiday out and yet in reality we left out Christmas. We did the trees, snowmen, stockings, wreaths but the True meaning of Christmas the giving of a Savior...that wasn't talked about at all...was even frowned upon.

Dan and I have never done Santa with our kids...they know that there was a man named St. Nicholaus who gave presents to those less fortunate but they know that he was a man. This man loved GOD and wanted to show God's love by giving to others. There is no man in a big red suit who lives at the North Pole and gives presents to good girls and boys with his magic reindeer. We watch the movies because they are fun and cute but my kids know there is nothing real about it.

Today my focus is on the Saviour coming to give the ultimate gift. The light of the World. My focus will be on giving to others because I have been given so much. My focus will be on others and not self.

No comments: